Case Study – Penguin Penalized Site
I will start a new SEO case study. This case study will be about recovering a penalized penguin site. Let me give you some history of this website:-
- Used to be top 3 websites in local for very competitive keywords
- Domain age – 3 years
- Hosted locally where the business is.
Link Profile cleaned up
I am using ‘ahref’ to do the link profile clean up. Here are the stats:-
- By using ‘ahref’ or ‘majestic’ you can see the link profile easily. From the picture above, you can see that there is a total of 6.4k backlinks to the website. But wait, take a look at the links!
When I took a look at the anchor text ratio, I found that the main keywords are over optimized.
The first task is to disavow link. I went to export the “DO FOLLOW” links from ‘ahref’. We only need to care about “do follow” because those links are passing the link juice. After exporting the links out, i went to google disavow tool to disavow hack links from the hack domain. Use the below format when uploading the text file :
By adding a common “domain:” prefix to the left of all domain, this ensures that those sites are disavowed at a domain level
The Backlinks Strategy
As usual i will be using the 301 redirect switchbox technique to protect site. I used to do a lot of direct linking to the main money site which is pretty bad. The only direct linking i allow now is press release. Switchbox technique allows’ me to turn on and off the links whenever i feel something is wrong.
Up next i will be doing the keyword research again for this site. Stay Tuned